Key Points to Approval Voting
- It removes the "Spoiler" effect of a third party candidate running. (Like Nader "taking votes away" from Gore in the 2000 US Presidential)
- No need for run-off elections.
- You are allowed to vote for or against each candidate independently. (Vote against a candidate by not voting for them.)
- It is still "one person, one vote". It is one person expressing their vote for or against each candidate. The current system says that you are only allowed to express a positive opinion for one candidate. You are forced to give all other candidates a no-vote which is essentially a vote against them.
- If you vote for all candidates, your vote won't really matter. This is the same with someone who votes against all of them.
- Works for Single-Winner Elections not Multi-winner. (When you are electing only one person to the position)